Black Panther wrapped its historic awards season run last night at the 50th annual NAACP Image Awards, taking home several awards. The landmark Marvel film won Outstanding Motion Picture, in addition to Outstanding Writing and Directing. The actors of Black Panther were celebrated as well, with Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan, Danai Gurira, and Leticia Wright all taking home trophies for individual and ensemble performances.
The film also scored wins with the soundtrack, earning Outstanding Duo, Group or Collaboration for Kendrick Lamar and SZA’s “All the Stars” as well as Outstanding Soundtrack/Compilation. Gurira who played Okoye, the fierce leader of the Dora Milaje, celebrated the African Diaspora, saying “The power of this moment to us really feels like the power of Pan-Africanism.”
Coogler also put the women of the film front and center, saying “I’m going to do what a lot of us should do, and I’m going to step back and let the brilliant women talk.” Gurira concluded her speech by saying, ″The beauty of this project is that we as a diaspora made this film successful ― and we’re just getting started as a diaspora, we’re just getting started.” Here’s some of speech below:
— Makho Ndlovu (@makhondlovu) March 31, 2019
The film previously broke records at the Academy Awards, with Ruth E. Carter becoming the first African-American woman to win Best Costume Design and Hannah Beachler, who was the first African-American woman to be nominated and win Best Production Design. Congrats to the team of Black Panther on all their wins!
(via HuffPost, image: Frazer Harrison/Getty Images)
- Today in Sentences I Never Thought I’d Write: Jim Carrey and Mussolini’s granddaughter are feuding on Twitter. (via AVClub)
- Here’s a new clip from Godzilla: King of the Monsters, for that nonstop Kaiju action. (via CBR)
- Robert Smith has the most Robert Smith response to being inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. (via The Independent)
- Mark Hamill will be voicing Chucky in the new Child’s Play reboot. (via Kotaku)
- Zoe Saldana is happy to see James Gunn return for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3. (via CBR)
- A driver pulled over by the police was revealed to have a 250 lb hog in his lap. The driver explained that he didn’t want the hog to get cold. This is my favorite story ever. (via HuffPost)
Robert Smith keeps it real. pic.twitter.com/SwCN0cDjTB
— Russell Cunningham (@cunninghamshire) March 31, 2019
Causes for #distracteddriving:
✅ Talking on phone 📱
✅ Texting 📲
✅ Eating fast food 🍔
✅ Changing radio station 🎶
✅ Putting on makeup 💄
✅ Having a pig 🐖 on your lap…now that was a first even for us. pic.twitter.com/6OtUDHIniv
— Chisago Co Sheriff (@ChisagoCountySO) March 26, 2019
What are you up to this Sunday, Sue Believers?
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—